Tuesday, December 26, 2006

"The Pursuit of HappYness"...worth a few bucks

My parents and I went to see Will Smith in "Pursuit of HappYness" tonight at the local theatre. As I saw the previews a month back I knew this would be a thought-provoking flick, and I was excited to check it out. It's interesting to watch an american movie on a very american subject looking at this idea from two different extremes. What is happYness anyway? Is the pursuit of it like chasing after the wind? Will Smith grapples with this idea from both the top and bottom of the American caste system. I like a movie that, for one, is based on a true story of a real dude and can fit soup kitchens, wall street, homeless shelters, and 49ers skyboxes into the same scene. In the midst of a season driven by buyng and getting, it is definitely worth your time and money to take a break from the shopping rush to go check it out. Question... what is happiness to you? What does success look like? You might just tweak your answer a little after seeing this movie. I give this film a B, a solid B, for a realistic look into the battle to keep life together in the midst of financial struggles. I like the ideals of sacrifice and following your purpose that often get pushed away into an awkward corner. If not viewed through a careful lens the movie can be misinterprited as a holiday prosperity wish that makes rich and happy into long lost buddies. Watch this one with a careful eye and let me know what you think.

1 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger KLantz said...

made me think a ton briggs and I really enjoyed it for the same reasons...can't wait to see you in a couple of days

 

Post a Comment

<< Home