Monday, January 16, 2006

Extreme sledding!

So my buddy and I are both on night shift, and things get a little quiet around here when everyone else in MacTown is sleeping. We decided tonight was the night we would finally make our run at extreme sledding. Following with the tradition here, many people "borrow" dinner trays and head out for the hike to Castle Rock, sliding the slope a few times until they are too cold or have gotten an ankle injury. Kevin and I had bigger plans. We heard that there were a few trekking sleds stashed in a storage shed that were calling our names. So we hitched a ride out to the shed, picked up the sleds, and hiked about four miles up the start. The ride was over three miles, and it would take us all the way down to the sea ice. With Kevin in the front steering and me in the back...well, just chilling, we hit terminal velocity. For three miles we were cracking up as we bombed down the slope trying to control the speed. When we picked up so much speed that we couldn't steer we bailed. We hit several spots that sent us fully airborne with unexpected bumps, meanwhile almost losing control fully. It was one of my best times here on the ice! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time or feared for my life so much. After hiking the bottom of the run a few more times and perfecting our form we called it a night. Stay tuned, because next week I might be blogging about starting an Antarctic bobsled team.

1 Comments:

At 1:42 AM, Blogger Alan Briggs said...

Zolli, this is nothing compared to DC baby!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home