Saturday, February 25, 2006

Out of the Wardrobe

There is no way to describe what it is like to step out of the frozen land and back into life as I knew it. It is as if I walked into Narnia for five months and now I have left the unreal world of the ice. As soon as the door opened on the plane I smelled earth and plants and felt warmth again, things that I missed so much while I was away. My friends and I were like little kids as we walked away from the airport with our bags smelling the flowers and sitting on the grass. We probably gave the Kiwis driving past us a good laugh. It is so good to be back in New Zealand again. I have never been so amazed by little things as I am now. As we walked the streets of ChristChurch the darkness was a strange feeling. This morning I bounced out of bed as the birds woke me up- the sunrise was awesome! I took a stroll for a while in the botanical gardens and cashed out for a short nap on the grass. It is good to see pets again, have children around, and have choices about where I can go and what i can eat. New Zealand is truly an amazing place. It reminds me of a mix between Scotland, England, and Switzerland. Summer is coming to an end here, and I have never been so glad to wear shorts and sandals. I am currently travelling with one friend from the ice and we are staying with a Kiwi we met on the ice for a few days. I think we're heading to the beach in about an hour!

1 Comments:

At 6:28 AM, Blogger jesse kahler said...

Keep trekkin' man... Your blog has been a great way to share the experience with you.. even convinced me that I would never want to do it ha! Your dad came to Taylor last weekend, gave a financial seminar, now I am going to be a millionaire!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home