Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Snowboading in Antarctica?

A buddy and I had talked about it for a few weeks. On the first beautiful Wednesday we decided on hitting the Castle Rock trail for a hike and bringing some snowboards along to try out the run. I borrowed a snowboard from the rec department here, loaded up the pack, grabbed a few sandwiches for lunch, and hit the trail. It was the most beautiful day I could imagine here. Until reaching the summit of Castle Rock there was very little wind. The sun was shimmering off the snow in a blinding and beautiful way. Castle Rock is the highest point for miles so the views from the top of the run were amazing! Icebergs stuck in the frozen sea ice, the Ross Ice Shelf, far off ice caves, and crevasses protruding from the side of Mt. Erebius were a few of the things that blew my mind. There was not another sole out there, and to our surprise, the powder was perfect. Five inches of powder, a beater snowboard, and a mile and a half slope to bomb...booyah! I was so excited about doing this and finally getting out there that I seemed to forget that I had only been on a board for about fifteen minutes before. Once I started down the hill I remembered that fact quickly. No matter how many falls I had, it was simply one of those things that you cannot believe you're doing. Those moments will be frozen in my mind for a long time. I improved quite a bit on the way down, enough to turn onto the narrow bridge over the crevasse- heads up! Once we got to the bottom it was simply too much fun to go only once. We hiked back up the slope and went for it again. As if coming to this frozen continent isn't rare enough, snowboarding here has to be one of the adventures I never would have dreamed of. It certainly made it easier to be away from the slopes in Colorado this winter.

1 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome. I mean, just the bragging rights for me to be able to say to someone, "So, I was reading my friends blog the other day and he was snowboarding ... in ANT-FREAKIN-ARTICA. Yeah baby..."

Amazing Briggs ... I will think about you as I hit Copper MTN. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home